Coffee: 40 grams
Grind: Medium (8¼)
Water Temp: 202°F
Bloom Weight: 85 grams
Final Brewing Weight: 630 grams
Total Brew Time: 3:30-4 minutes
Chemex Brewer (6 or 8 cup)
Chemex Filter (Oxygen Cleansed)
Digital Scale (Accurate to 0.5 grams)
Freshly Roasted, Whole Bean Coffee
- Thoroughly rinse a Chemex filter with hot water in order to preheat the brewing vessel and to avoid a papery taste.
- Dose 40 grams of whole bean coffee. It is better to use coffee that has been rested 2 to 3 days, but no longer than 2 weeks.
- Grind the coffee on a medium grind, about what you would use for an automat- ice coffee maker (this is an 8¼ on our grinders).
- Pour coffee into the pre-heated Chemex (the coffee bed should be level) and zero out your scale.
- Refill your pouring kettle if necessary to ensure that the water is at 202°F.
- Start a timer and gently pour 85 grams of water evenly over the coffee.
- After 45 seconds, pour water to 375 grams – near the top of Chemex.
- As the water level lowers, continue pouring water in around 75 gram incre- ments in order to maintain an even water level. Continue until you reach 630 grams.
- The coffee should finish dripping between 3:30-4 minutes. Remove the filter and the spent grounds.
- Serve and enjoy your coffee!